Supermarkets in South Africa have been clearing a popular sausage from the shelves after it was blamed for a food poisoning outbreak behind 180 deaths. The government identified the cold meat polony as the source of the listeria poisoning- but advised consumers to avoid all ready-to-eat processed meat. Customers have descended on the factories that made the polony, to demand a refund.
The outbreak was finally traced after infecting people for more than a year. It is believed to have originated in an Enterprise Food Factory in the Northern city of Polokwane. A plant owned by RLC Foods is also under suspicions. Both firms have suspended meat production.
There have been 948 cases reported of the listeria since January 2017, according to Reuters. The United Nations says it is believed to be the largest outbreak ever, worlwide. In some people, the disease, causes high temperature, vomiting, and diarrhoea. The elderly people with compromised immune systems, and babies- both in the womb and newborn- are particularly vulnerable.
I am shocked to find out that this has been going for a while now since last year and we know about it now. I feel like the number could have been reduced to a minimum if they would have acted the moment they had suspicions and run the tests after they have warned the supermarkets and customers. If they have done that I'm sure the solutions f stopping the disease and actions would have been taken
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43287616?ocid=socialflow_twitter

The actions were late,yes,because they didn't know the root of the problem.
ReplyDeleteI see what you mean and after I conducted a broader investigation on the disease I discovered that all the food we eat was under suspicion and if it were to be stopped we would never survive.
ReplyDelete